Thousands of years ago, our ancestors grilled over fire with nothing but the simplest of tools. Even today, you can get great results with just the basics. But if you really want to take your grilling up a notch, we’ve listed the 10 best grill accessories that will make your BBQ sessions both easier and more fun.
Let’s get started…
Cooking with a gas grill is fine, but if you want to show off your grill skills and give your meals the best possible flavor you’ll want to cook over charcoal. And the best way to light charcoal is with a chimney starter.
A chimney starter will ignite your coals evenly and quickly (in about 15 to 20 minutes) and without the use of lighter fluid, which can give your food a nasty chemical taste.
Our top pick for best chimney starter:
- Designed to quickly produce hot coals for cooking
- 7.5 in. in diameter, 12 in. high
- Specialized cone-shaped grate
- Durable construction for longevity
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
The key to cooking over charcoal is temperature control. You can’t just lower the temperature knob like you can with a gas grill, so you have to control the temperature by moving the coals around and setting up hot and cold zones.
You obviously don’t want to get too close to the coals and I find the best way to move your coals around is with an old fashioned garden hoe. Look for one with a wooden handle as metal will get too hot to handle and plastic will melt.
Our top pick for best garden hoe (grill hoe):
- 6.25-Inch wide blade for optimal weeding
- Hardwood handle for strength and durability
- 10-Inch cushion grip for comfort and control
- Ideal for clearing and chopping light growth in gardens or flower beds
- Perfect for weeding smaller gardens
Digital Meat Thermometer
Chefs on TV cooking shows always check the cook on their meat by poking it with their finger. They’ve somehow learned to tell when a piece of meat is properly cooked just by touching it.
I can’t do that.
If you’re like me, then you need a good digital meat thermometer so you can always cook your meat to the perfect temperature.
Stay away from the dirt-cheap models. A good digital meat thermometer will last many years and it’s worth spending a little extra on.
Our pick for best digital meat thermometer:
- 【3 YEARS WARRANTY! REGISTER your wireless meat thermometer after purchase and INCREASE YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE FROM 1 YEAR TO 3 YEARS】A brand-new sensor probe will be provided if your probe...
- 【Hands Free Monitor】Wireless digital meat thermometer with dual probe monitors food or oven/grill/smoker temps up to 300 feet away, enabling you to enjoy your company without continuously excusing...
- 【Hassle-Free Setup】No synch required, say goodbye to the tedious setup steps; Large LCD displays both food and oven temps and timer for the most intuitive experience; Back-lit for use in low light...
- 【USDA Preset Temperature Settings】BBQ thermometer with preset temperatures for 9 types of meat and their various doneness levels recommended by USDA; All of the preset temps can be reset to your...
- 【Durable and Accurate Probes】Grilling thermometer features food grade stainless steel probe with step-down tip design to get temperature more precisely and quickly; Probe wires can withstand up to...
The surface of your grill grate is like the tires on your car. They’re the only part of the grill that actually comes into contact with your food, just like your tires are the only part of your car that touches the road.
At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work!
You want to keep your grill grates clean to avoid sticking and flare-ups. There are different ways to clean grill grates, but for everyday use your best bet is a good, sturdy grill brush.
Don’t buy a crappy grill brush from the dollar store! Those dirt cheap brushes can create a choking hazard when the wire bristles come off, stick to the grill, and end up stuck to the bottom of your burger or pork chop.
Our pick for best grill brush:
- Wide brush head cleans large surfaces quickly and efficiently
- Shorter sides can be used for cleaning edges and dislodging debris between grates
- Thick stainless steel bristles resist wear
- Ergonomic handle provides control and leverage when cleaning dirty cook grates
The Grill Stone
This baby is a must have!
While a standard grill brush is great for everyday use, sometimes you need to give your grill grates a deeper cleaning. The Grill Stone is the best tool I’ve found for making your grates shine like new.
Gently scrape your grates with the Grill Stone and watch as all the grease and grime rubs right off. You don’t even need to use a lot of elbow grease to get results, and it cleans just as well when the grates are cold.
Now, it is a little messy. The stone disintegrates as you scrape with it and leaves behind a lot of dusty residue. Which is why I recommend only using it after you’ve removed the grates. Scrape them clean on a table or your patio and then simply hose all the dust away.
- Cleans 4x faster then wire brushes and scouring pads
- Conforms to any surface to clean between the grill grates
- 100% chemical free and non-toxic
- Made from 95% recycled material
- A clean grill is a healthy grill
I don’t know about you but I grill all year round, night and day. That includes those late evenings during the week after the kids come home from soccer practice after dark.
Grilling in the dark can be tricky. You can’t what you’re doing and if you’re not careful you can risk burning your food or yourself.
You need an adjustable grill light that you can point directly at your grill grates so you can see exactly what you’re doing and watch over that delicious meal.
Pro tip – Go for a waterproof grill light or you’ll risk having it ruined by a sudden rain shower.
Our pick for the best grill light:
- TRUSTED! Unlike other lights which are not bright enough, made out of cheap plastic materials, or simply stop working for no apparent reason, the Zeust Siri 2.0 barbecue grill light has an...
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE! Our grill light features a glass-reinforced nylon construction and metal clamp which means that it can withstand the extreme heat of your grill. This means it will not warp or...
- OUTSTANDING QUALITY! If you've been looking for a bbq grill light that is waterproof and can withstand any type of weather then your search is over. That's because our Sirius 2.0 model has been...
- PRACTICAL & EFFECTIVE! The problem with other run-of-the-mill flashlights or phone flashlights is they are not bright enough and are a hassle to use. Our product solves that problem. How? By using a...
- 100% GUARANTEED! Unlike other companies who don't stand behind their product, we are proud to offer a 2-year Waterproof & No-Melt Guarantee which means you'll get thousands of delicious dinners cooked...
Non-Stick Grill Basket
Obviously, you can grill some awesome burgers, pork loin, and chicken breast. But your grill can handle so much more!
Grilled broccoli, peppers and onions (my favorite!), and asparagus are all awesome sides at any barbecue. But to cook them properly you need a grill basket. Look for one that is big enough to fit a good-sized portion and a non-stick coating to make cleanup easier.
Our top pick for best non-stick grill basket:
- Non-Stick makes it easier to grill and clean up after tough foods
- Raised sides keep food in place
- Perforated metal allows for real grilled experience
- Tray should not exceed 400⁰F or warping/peeling of non-stick coating may appear
Heavy Duty Grill Gloves or Welder’s Gloves
Okay, okay…I know this isn’t labeled as a grill accessory, but trust me they are the best option. Potholders and towels just can’t deal with the intense heat generated when you barbecue.
A pair of heavy duty welders gloves will keep your hands safe from burns. The gloves below are rated for heat higher than your grill will ever get, and they’re designed specifically to allow flexibility and easy handling of tools.
Trust me, when you try these out you’ll wonder why you didn’t buy them sooner.
Our pick for best grill gloves:
- 【REINFORCED DOUBLE LAYER KEVLAER PADDING ON FINGER,PALM,ELBOW & BACK】:RAPICCA is the only brand which offer Double Reinforced Kevlar Layer Pading on both Fingers, Palms, Elbow& Backs on our...
- 【SUPERIOR SECURITY FOR FORERAMS】 - The 16 inches extra long glove with 7.5 inches long sleeve protect your forearms from grinding debris, welding sparks, hot coals and open flames, hot kitchen...
- 【EXTREME FOUR LAYER HEAT RESISTANT PROTECTION】 Outermost layer: Double layer kevlar padding leather. Intermediate layer: a composite product by laminating a kind of high temperature resistant...
- 【EXTREME WEAR RESISTANT PROTECTION】- The Gloves are made from 1.5mm thick and soft shoulder split natural cowhide leather which is heat resistant, wear-resistant, puncture resistant, cut...
- 【SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】--We back up our claim that this glove is the best on the market. You can rest easy with your purchase. If there is any issue or advice for our products, please email us...
Heavy Duty Tongs
When it’s time to move your sausage or hot dogs around the grill, the best tool to use is a pair of heavy duty tong.
Never poke your sausage with a fork! You’ll let all the delicious juices escape!
When you’re choosing a pair of tongs, you want them long and lightweight. Standard kitchen tongs are fine in a pinch but a longer pair will keep your hands further from the fire.
Skip the tongs that have a wooden handle. They’re often too heavy and difficult to maneuver. And when you have food on the grill, every second counts.
The tongs I use are below. They weight almost nothing but they’re well made and make grabbing a runaway hot dog easy as pie.
Our top pick for best heavy duty tongs:
- Sturdy Stainless Steel Barbecue Tongs
- Good grip for Grilling Steak, Hamburger or Bacon
- Locks on top to close for convenient storage
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Service Tip: if you have any questions about our products, please contact us. We have Lifetime warranty on our products.
Commercial Grade Spatula
No grill master’s toolkit is complete with a handy spatula for flipping burgers!
Our pick for best grill spatula:
- STAINLESS STEEL SPATULA SET - includes 1 x cooking spatula turner or griddle scraper, 1 x grill spatula. Great for use as pancake turner , fish turner spatula , griddle spatula , kitchen spatula.
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY - spatulas and scraper are good for use by professional chefs in restaurants and food shops as well as griddle grill accessories set for your home kitchen or backyard barbecue .
- MADE FROM STURDY STAINLESS STEEL - non-reactive, hygienic and durable . Spatula stainless steel blade thickness is 1/25 inch . Perfect heavy duty spatula kit.
- FIRM GRIP - ergonomic and comfortable wooden handle with hole for easy hanging. Flat spatula and stainless steel turner are very well balanced . Metal spatula set is handwash only.
- PANCAKE FLIPPER AND GRIDDLE TURNER Stainless spatulas - perfect for cast iron outdoor griddle or flat top cooking